Friday, April 1, 2011

Lent 4, John - Born Blind

John 9.1-41 (including Jesus’ explanation of this sign in 10.1-21)

…he was born blind so that God’s works might be revealed in him. (Jn 9.3)

Sometimes when I tell people what I have seen and heard in Israel and Palestine, I feel like the man born blind.

When I come back to the US with all these stories that don’t fit with what we have always believed about Israel and Palestinians, I get the questions—Aren’t the Palestinians encouraging violence? Aren’t their leaders corrupt? After all, don’t they want to see Israel “driven into the sea”? How do you know you haven’t been duped into sympathizing with the Palestinians? Is it possible you have been brainwashed? Like the blind man, I have seen something so powerful that I can’t keep it to myself. I feel compelled to tell everyone about it. Like the blind man, I’m not sure what it means, but in telling the story I am slowly finding the meaning.

This week in Beit Ommar, the Israeli army closed the city’s only entrance, the small dirt road that passes under the 50-foot-high guard tower. The people of Beit Ommar, fed up with Israel’s ongoing confiscation of their lands, have been demonstrating against the occupation. With the “unrest” all over the West Bank, Israel is clamping down on protest.

Jamal, in Beit Ommer (the name of the town, like most Arabic place names is spelled many ways in English – I have usually written Beit Ummar) wrote on Wednesday (his English is MUCH better than my Arabic, but I’ve done a little editing to make it clearer):

“Now the Israeli soldiers closed Beit Ommer; it's like a big prison, no one can use the car to go outside, also they arrested a lot of people (young men). Despite of that I continue working for peace. I invited Israelis to my house, I visited Sderot, in the south of Israel where Hamas rockets come through Gaza, I talked to people there, I faced dangers there, some people made a protest against me and other Palestinians who were there; they used bad words.

Photo is of Jamal and Margee, from our Compassionate Listening delegation last May, taken by Ellen Greene.

Also there were 4 women from Cyprus; I invited them to my house with Israelis. I coordinate with the Mayor of Beit Ommer; we invited many people to the Muncipality to screen a film about the conflict in Cyprus. Then we discussed with the Israelis; many shared and asked questions; it was a wonderful meeting. Last Monday the Compassionate Listening group visited us; we invited Israelis to the meeting, also Palestinians; they heard from both sides. Saddiye [Jamal’s wife] and the children help me in all my activities; they give me courage. It's not easy for me to continue without their support; sometimes Saddiye becomes afraid when I visit Israelis area because there is a lot of hate to Palestinians. Also my work with Israelis caused problems in my job [Jamal is a barber] because I lost many customers, because many people don't accept the idea that I deal with Israelis, but I want to continue what I started. We think of our children’s future; we want them to live on peace without fear , it's a big challenge.

Also last week we met with an Israeli family from Sedrot; they have 4 kids; our children shared playing with them; we shared a meal. It was really nice meeting. The plan was to visit them in their house but the soldiers didn't let us go to Sedrot even we though had permits, but this family come next to the checkpoint. We spent 4 hours together, this means a lot to us; we feel we break the wall between us.”

God, you know the desires of our hearts—longings for peace and security, for freedom and a future for our children. Help those of us who have been given these gifts to use them for the work of your reign of justice and peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment