Monday, February 13, 2012

A Lenten Geography, 2012

When I began this project, three years ago, I did not realize that after I had cycled through all three years of the lectionary...returning in 2012 to Year B, that life on the ground would be worse for Palestinians than it was in 2008. As Pastor Mitri Raheb of Christmas Lutheran Church has pointed out, there is no reason for optimism that the injustices against the Palestinians will end. But he and the people of Bethlehem find hope...... in God's faithfulness and promises of abundant life, in the people who are working to create a life of hope for the people who live behind the 27-foot-high wall in Bethlehem. So, although I am tempted to despair, their hope buoys me and carries me forward, aware that God's time is not our time, and, as the grafitti on the wall proclaims: "Nothing Lasts Forever!"

Watch for three posts each week during Lent--based on the three texts for the following Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment